Donald G. Sinex
All areas of oil and gas law, with particular experience in exploration and production, acquisition and sale of producing properties, including title examination, and preparation of related documents and litigation
Mr. Sinex, a 1964 Petroleum Landman Management graduate from Oklahoma University, was employed as a petroleum landman for two major oil companies, Union Oil Company of California and Getty Oil Company, prior to 1971. This led naturally into a law practice emphasizing oil, gas and mineral law upon graduation from South Texas College of Law in 1971.
As Vice-President and General Counsel for ITR Petroleum, Inc. from 1984 to 1987, Mr. Sinex was extensively involved in oil and gas property acquisitions, including acquisition of financially troubled companies in bankruptcy.
Mr. Sinex's practice today continues to be principally involved with the oil and gas industry and, in particular, matters involving exploration and production. This includes transactional matters regarding acquisition and sale, bank financing, and oil and gas exploration, involving contracts and title to oil and gas properties and mediation of disputes involving related oil and gas issues. As a result of litigation experience early in his practice, Mr. Sinex continues to be involved in supervising oil and gas related litigation matters for various clients.
Activities and Affiliations:
- State Bar of Texas - Admitted April, 1971
- Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since December, 1986
- He was a member of the Texas Board of Legal Specialization Advisory Committee for the term 1994 through 1996.
- Fellow, The College of the State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association, Oil and Gas Section - Chairman of Oil and Gas Section, 1993/1994
- Houston Association of Professional Landmen
- American Association of Professional Landmen
- Selected for inclusion in listing of Best Lawyers in Houston, H Texas Magazine, 2004, 2005, 2008 - 2010
- Selected for inclusion in listing of Texas Super Lawyers, Texas Monthly, 2003 - 2010
- Selected for inclusion in listing of Texas' Best Lawyers, 2009 Houston Edition
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2005 - 2006, 2009 (Natural Resources Law), 2010 (Natural Resources Law and Oil and Gas Law)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2008 - 2009
- Listed in Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2009 - 2010
- U.S. News and World Report - Best Law Firms 2010 Inaugural Edition - Zukowski, Bresenhan, Sinex & Petry listed as Tier 1 law firm in Oil and Gas Law
Publications and Presentations:
- Co-authored with Scott Petry, Susan Stanton and Pascal P. Piazza, "Real Estate vs. Oil and Gas Developers", State Bar of Texas 32nd Annual Advanced Real Estate Law Course, San Antonio, Texas, July 8 - 10, 2010
- Co-authored with Susan A. Stanton and Terry I. Cross, "Drafting Basic Agreements Used in Developing Oil and Gas Prospects", presented to 2009 Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Special Institute on Oil and Gas Agreements: The Exploration Phase, Santa Fe, New Mexico, April 30 - May 1, 2009
- Co-authored with Susan A. Stanton, Scott C. Petry and Terry I. Cross, "Preparing and Drafting Agreements Used in Developing Oil & Gas Prospects", 2008 AAPL Summer Land Institute, Houston, Texas, August 26, 2008
- Co-authored with Susan Stanton, "After Acquired Title Revisited," presented at the Ernest Smith Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute, University of Texas, Houston, Texas, March 26, 2004: Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Journal, Vol. 42, No. 2, 2005
- "Seller's Duty to Disclose to Buyer," American Association of Professional Landmen, Landman's Workshop on Acquisitions and Divestitures, May 21, 1999; The Landman, July/August 1999; The 47th minerfal Law Institute, LSU Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, March 30-31, 2000; the Energy Law Institute, Oil & Gas/Power, South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas, August 17-18, 2000.
- "Lease Maintenance and Shut-in Royalty Issues," The Landman, November/December, 1998
- "Lease Maintenance and Term Royalty Issues," Houston Association of Professional Landmen 29th Annual Technical Workshop, Houston, Texas, April 6, 1998.
- "Ethical Responsibilities of Attorneys and Landmen in Oil and Gas Transactions," Houston Bar Association - Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section, December 12, 1995; Exxon Corporation, May 17, 1996; AAPL International Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, June 20, 1996; Dallas Bar Association, Energy Law Section, December 18, 1996; The Landman, January/February, 1997; Association of Lease and Title Analysts (ALTA), February 18, 1997; West Houston Association of Professional Landmen, July 18, 1997; South Texas College of Law, Oil & Gas Institute, August 7, 1997; Dallas Bar Association Energy Law Section, Review of Oil and Gas Law XII, August 21, 1997; The AAPL 1997 Gulf Coast Institute, November 7, 1997.
- "Analysis of Gas Balancing Issues Absent a Balancing Agreement," the Landman, January 1985.
- "Landman's Overview of Producing Property Acquisitions," The Landman, January, 1985
- "Three Frequent and Confusing Land Problems Considered in Relation to Last Minute Operations," American Association of Petroleum Landmen, Annual Mid-Year Conference, Midland, Texas, January 31-February 2, 1982; The Landman, April, 1982
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas, J.D., May, 1971
- Oklahoma University, B.B.A., Petroleum Land Management, January, 1964